Monday, September 12, 2005

Ghost Orchids

Back on July 11 and 12, I, Ray decided that we needed to include the Hexalectris orchids as totem plants at RGVECB. You can read why I foretold that in my thoughts for those dates. You will need to ignore, however, that I forgot to add them to the Liturgy like I was supposed to, but will, anon. This one is Hexalectris probably nitida. Probably, because these white ones have only been found in these parts in one canyon on the Wheless Preserve. There are plenty of H. nitidas around these parts, but these are the only white ones. Note the closed, cleistogamous flowers. These are big, in the neighborhood of 18 inches tall. I sort of get creeped out by them, because they are colored so much like the Goddess' complexion. Also, being very, what some might call superstitious, I consider them to be a sign. So does the Crumby Ovate who first encountered them. Anon, we will put up some more pictures of the Hexalectris orchids inhabiting these parts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home