Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Crumby's Telescope Tomfoolery Multiple Stars Whatever

You know Rayetta, there's lots of cool stuff to look at in Ophiucus.

That may be Crumby, but no one wants to look at a constellation with a name like Ophiucus.

I look at it.

Yes, you do Crumby, but you also think the spell, snuffer, is funny.

It is funny, Rayetta. Jeez Louise. Lighten up. Snuffer's natural and funny. Anyway, I'm gonna hunt for stuff in Ophiucus tonight if I can stay awake. Wanna stay up all night looking for stuff in Ophiucus?

No.

All righty then. I have other companionship options. Anyway, what's the priroity double star list for Ophiucus I wonder. Let's see what I can come up with from avialable information.

All righty then. These are the ones I want to espy: 36, Omicron, 79 and Rho. Finding these on the star charts is a little time consuming, especially if you forget to look up their right accensions and declinations first. Rho's location, for example, is a surprise.

For the last couple of evenings I have decided to see what the Lomo 133.5 Mak can do on multiple stars. Last night was informative in this respect. Once Lomo thermoregulated itself the star images seemed good. The moon was not out, but the wind was howling. A few low clouds were zooming up from the south, intermittently.

On Rho, all I could ever get was one tiny bluish star above a big yellow star. Presumbably the big yellow star splits, but I could not make it do so except I kept imagining companions sometimes at about 190x. Available amateur information on Rho's parts is slightly non-informative. I will try again tonight with the 10" Newtonian.

The parts of Rho I could espy are way darker than they should be even in the Mak, due, I am apprized, to the intervening nebulosity, which must be inferred from this location, since it not discernible directly.

Omicron is an easy one for the Mak, splitting at about 60x, but better at 106x. On all these observations I used UO orthos and a 16mm UO Koenig plus the dang Apogee zoom which works almost as well as the Orthos in the Mak and is way handy.
_____

Weather report. Red says it's been very hot and very dry. That's about right. We are doing some irrigating. No serious rain event has occurred since Cotton fer Spit month.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home