Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Sedge Buster Lesson 7 -pictures are of Carex retroflexa and Carex rosea

All righty then, sedge busters. This is the last lesson on the Phystoglochins. Next up, anon, will be the gynecandrous caric sedges, Section Ovales. The Ovales are much less common in these parts than the Phystoglochins. Right Ray?

That has indeed been my experience also Crumby. And it makes sense that they would be, less common.

Oh! Why do ye spell that Ray?

Because the girls in Ovales are always on top. It's unnatural.

Oh!.... Hark! Both the fair Hope and the fair Rayetta have the both of them twain arrived on the scene. How be ye ladies and look what Ray has indeed spelled just now?

Ray! Here's a good ear finger thump fer ye!

Owwwwwwwwwwwwww! Dang it Rayetta! Whut''ud ye do that fer?

Fer yer bein' an MCP. That's whut fer. Also, I needed to release some tension. Now whut's on fer today and load em up?

All righty then. This first picture shows most of a spikelet of C. retroflexa. Please inspect the lower halves of the visible ventral peryginial surfaces and if ye are not a numbskull, ye will see that they are striate. C. retroflexa is the only Phytoglochin in these parts that has this sort of decoration. C. texensis peryginias apparently look just about like C.retroflexa peryginias, but lack the striate vertical ridges.

But if ye travel northward into beautiful Oklahomy, ye may espy this one if ye go well north of Bokchito. It's Carex rosea from especially beautiful Adair County. It also has the lower ventral surface striations, but it also has toofers on the peryginial beak. C. retroflexa has no such toofers. Also, there is more separation of the spikes in the infloresence compared to how bunched up the spikes are in the C. retroflexa.
_____

My goodness gracious Rayetta. Did you have to ear thump Ray so hard?

Yes. Yes I did Hope. And I think I shall now go over and thump Crumby also, fer tattlin' on Ray.

OWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW! Whut did ye do that fer, Rayetta?

3 Comments:

Blogger dig up stupid said...

That fella who wrote that bit I sent you seems to think the difference between retroflexa and texensis is the length of the spongy (striated) portion of the ventral peryginial surface. but I couldn't say whether he right or not cause I haven't look at many specimens.

12:57 PM  
Blogger ray pistrum said...

Yep. I just read that. I don't hink he even mentios the striations which are give as a characteristic both in Flora of North Texas and Flora of the Great Plains. We need to check out some of yours. I need some specimens of yours since I don't have any.

I just checked out all my retroflexas and they all have the bigger peryginias even though several of them are from NE Texas and eastern OK. Hmmmm! We'll just have to make some sheets of yer pet ones.

By the way. I trust the old timey guys more on taxonomy, mostly becasue they're dead, than these newcomer splitters tryin' to make a name fer themselves.

1:23 PM  
Blogger dig up stupid said...

I just briefly skimmed the methodology he used but there might of been a small number of specimens and not many from this far south. New guys have to be new they can't rely on old guys other wise why go to the trouble the works already be done.
Check yer email

10:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home