Thursday, July 19, 2007

Rayetta’s Hawaiian Butterflies Plus a CB-BDS Update

The butterflies are sparse. We have more species at the CB every day than occur on the big island, Hawaii, all the time, only 14 species. Not only that, I could not round up many of the butterflies that do occur in Hawaii. The only ones I espied were Cabbage White, Long-tailed Blue, Monarch, Kamehameha maybe, Xuthus Swallowtail and Fiery Skipper. That’s not even half of them. Phooey! And the only ones I got pictures of are fiery skipper, monarch and long-tailed blue. Phooey!

How long does a girl have to hang around a banana tree before she espies a banana skipper? That’s what I want to know. Hmmm. I had other stuff to do. Maybe that’s why I didn’t see all the butterflies.

But now, home at the CB, I have already espied a butterfly new to the CB-BDS. This is a tiny, tame one. 3 - 1 on the Rayetta Scales, dusky-blue groundstreak (Calycopis isobeon). How about that!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's one beautiful butterfly, Zebra legs and antennae.
Monarda is much more interesting on a small scale than on a stinky people scale.

another day of rain-ah-mold soup for my supper

10:27 AM  
Blogger ray pistrum said...

Monardas are great for insects, not only butterflies, but bees, wasps, bugs and beetles all really like Monarda.

Boy howdy. This rain is amazing all righty. Go eat Mexican food.

By the way, for the first time ever this late, the red buckeyes still have their leaves.

11:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home