Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Last Night’s Observation Log - O-III Earns Its Keep

Tonight before Moon came up around 9:30 is great. M36 and M37 are visible in the bins. I have never found M37 in the bins before tonight. Dern it to heck, thought Crumby. I need to espy something new. What naked wonder has long lain unseen amid that great charioteer, by me?

I know, IC 2149. I shall try that one. Groan! In this situation, Crumby the ancient and crippled must get down on his knees. Yes. Down on his knees, groveling in the frosty dirt of the frigid winter that Druids reference as the season of the Polar Bear. All that separates Crumby’s crippled knee from the frozen earth is a couple of lawn chair cushions. Yet those lawn chair cushions are weak sisters, skinny, with scant padding.

Jeez Louise! I shall have to take a pain killer to get over this, fer sure, Crumby shouted to the High Heavens. Yes. Crumby had to sit on the cold, cold ground with only his lawn chair cushions for company. Yes. Crumby had also to twist himself around in an awkward position before he could sight through the Rigel. Fortunately, even from the Godessless position Crumby had to assume, Menkalinan was easy to position in the Rigel. Plus, the vicinity of IC 2149 is an easy star hop in the Lomo 10x40 finder. The fact it, it’s not much of a hop. More like a hippity. So getting to the vicinity of IC 2149 is easy.

Trouble is, the Lomo is no 10" Great Red Tube. Aperture, aperture, aperture. Yet tonight, even at about 45x, Crumby could espy that one of those little stars up yonder in the neighborhood of IC 2149 is a fuzzy. Going to about 67x fortified Crumby’s conviction that he might be dealing with a fuzzy. And the O-III confirmed, fuzzy.

But that is that. I shall not sit here on the cold ground, any more, tonight. I am liable to cripple myself even worse if I keep this up. So Crumby reasoned, and that is why about 67x was the highest power employed on IC 2149 tonight. Yet tomorrow night may bring the Great Red Tube into action, maybe.

I need to fluff up my Planetary Nebula list now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home