Saturday, May 07, 2011

Fixin to Fledge


The baby great horned owl pair is fixing to fledge. Here they are, out of the nest. Know what? Owls are important WG totems. That in addition to being important unto themselves.

Crumby is not happy with the sharpness of the 60D x 400mm. This was shot on a tripod using a remote shutter. It's way too blurry at 100%. Dang it.

OK. Now for an important religious interjection. To whit; Druids should pray really hard for the rapture. Like please WG, help Jesus or the responsible party waft these superstitious dumbasses out of these parts.

Huh-huh. Uh-oh! What if the rapture came along and nobody got took? That would be like the sound of one hand clapping, all righty then.

But of course somebody might get took. Like all the baptized yet innocent babies might get took. Oooh! Man alive! Mercy! How spooky would that be? Heck! My precious baby has gone missing and I can't even get its little picture on a milk carton. There's no more room on the milk cartons. Boo-hoo-hoo.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't have a theory, but I have some observations that may help in your quest for sharp pictures with long focal length lenses. A while back I was trying to determine what I could depend on and what was luck with respect to sharpness. I noticed that I could get oblong specular highlights using a tripod, cable release, and mirror up. After I put enough straps, heavy objects, and other such things on both the camera and lens I found I could get sharp pictures of something, even though what I was interested in might be out of focus.

I immediately disregarded all subsequent lens tests from almost everyone. I have, in fact, been able to acheive blurry pictures with a flash up close. I took that to mean that the preflash sometimes affects the photo taking flash.

When I used to read lens opinions I noticed that folks found the expensive, heavy lenses better than the lighter lenses of the same focal length. There are many possibilities to explain this trend, but one of them may be that the heavy lens is less likely to be affected by shutters moving, wind blowing, and nearby buses idling.

I'm still enjoying your blog.

TPLR

4:25 PM  
Blogger ray pistrum said...

On the subject photo I did everthing but lock up the mirror. It could be that the subject was moving, since, as usual for around here lately, the wind was blowing 30mph. The shutter speed was very low too, due to low light. Well. At least the new rig autofocuses. And it's not like I'm getting paid.

4:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home