Thursday, July 14, 2005

Ray's Comparative Mythology, Scrutinized

So Ray, you really put a lot into that "comparative" mythology you spelled last night?

Yepper Rayetta. I am really happy with it and I have thought about it quite a lot, since I spelled it out.

You've thought some more about it today then, and are quite pleased with yourself?

Yepper, I am purty well pleased. Why do you ask?

Well Ray, I was just wondering how you came to select those particular passages from Bulfinch's Mythology as the starting point for your first treatise on "comparative" mythology?

I selected them in a modified random fashion Rayetta. I had been wanting to compare King Arthur to some of Dr. Swineherd's Volsungs and so I picked passages from that subtopic in Mr. Bulfinch's book that looked interesting.

I see Ray. And how did you pick the Juggernaut passage?

That was totally random Rayetta. I was getting tired and I wanted to go to bed but I felt like I needed a fourth passage ( a Pythagorean thing you know) so I just flipped over to that page and happened to see Juggernaut.

Okie Dokie Ray, leaving sampling methodology aside, why do you think the first passage is important?

Cause those qualities mentioned are a goal, acknowledged by all as the highest model of emulation.

Um, hmm, and devotedness to the church? Also, "you" went to church last Sunday?

Well, actually Rayetta, I only went to church in an allegorical sense. Anyway foolin around with the wild little wonders is like church for us aint it?

Yes it is Ray? But getting back to those qualities that are the highest model of emulation, do you have any feeling of unease about that?

No Rayetta, I don't. They are very amusing because they become catty wampus when considered one with another, and they are especially amusing since they are just models for emulation and not the real thing.

I see that Ray. And what does that passage then have to do with the Volsungs?

Well Rayetta, I have not figured that part out quite yet. However, I'm purty sure it has something to do with the third passage, of that I am confident.

And?

All righty then. The Volsungs and King Arthur all had real nice weapons and accoutrements and the weapons all had names. I particularly liked the name of King Arthur's spear. Also, multitudes perished at the hand of King Arthur just like they did at the hands of the Volsungs.

And you thought all that was funny?

Yepper, funny.

And I suppose you thought the second passage was also funny?

Yes I did Rayetta. Merlin won a battle for King Arthur by making all the tents fall down at once. That reminded me of Boy Scouts.

What prithee did you think about Arthur having a picture of the Virgin on his shield?

I liked that part best, cause we all know that picture was the Goddess.

And the fourth passage?

Just funny Rayetta. Just funny.

All righty then Ray. You are officially off comparative mythology duty and back on Howdy Duty.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home