Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Ray's in the Comfort Station

Rayetta! Ray is in the Men's Comfort Station and won't come out.

Hmmm. Has he done his thought for the day yet, Hope?

No, he hasn't, but I found lotsa notes and pictures in the laboratory, Rayetta.

Hmmm. Ray-ay! Come out of there! You need to do your thought for the day-ay........
Ray!.......Answer me this instant!.................Ray! I'm warnin' ye, buster!

Whut?

Come on out of there and get to work!

I am workin'! I'm gettin' lots accomplished in here.

Oh my goodness gracious Ray, what are you working on in the comfort station?

My biography, Hope. If ye must know, I am working up a biographical sketch of my early years.

Do you have to do that in the comfort station, Ray? Can't you come out?

No. Er, perhaps, I shall come out anon, once I get to a good stoppin' point.

All righty then buster. What about your thought for the day?

You do it Rayetta. The notes and such are in the lab. Er, make Crumby do it.

Triplicate little basturd ophans! Ray! All righty then Ray. You just stick there. Come on Hope. Let's go find Crumby.

Bye Ray. I hope you get something amazing accomplished in the comfort station.
_____

Crumby! Do you want to do Ray's Thought for the Day?

Sight tube.

What?

Sight tube. Must find sight tube. Must find Cheshire.

Jeez Louise. Crumby's a zomby. All righty then. As usual, I the LDR will take up the slack around here. Would you care to accompany me to the lab Hope and assist me with my idiot brother's thought, since you apparently know the disposition of his materials and have a better grasp of his low order thought processes, than do I?

Goodness gracious. Poor Ray locked in the comfort station. Alas, what trauma drove him to such a measure? Well, certainly I shall assist you with his thought, Rayetta.

Hmmmmm. Here we are.

Look Rayetta. Ray has worked up a nice new tree for "I am Cotton fer Spit Month and the CB Tree is Aesculus arguta and Aesculus pavia var. pavia.

Hmmm. My brother's satire can be more than a little crude.

Yes. I inquired of Ray why all the months so far have been given rather, well, nasty, names.

And what did Ray have to spell on that?

Ray spelled that its been nastier than usual in these parts lately, so the calendar names should reflect just how nasty.

Hmmm. Then cotton fer spit must metaphorically represent the dearth of precipitation. All righty then. Let's load up what Ray's got on the new calendar month for the Julian, March 18 - April 14.

All righty then.

Goodness. We have three pictures reflecting the new tree of the month, two Aesculus spp. that we have at the CB. But we only have pictures of A. arguta so far, because A. pavia var. pavia hasn't flowered quite yet. The first picture indicates a raceme of A. arguta flowers. Please note that they are yellow, sort of. Also, these yellow ones were a present from Burford, a while back.

The second picture is of a solitary flower under the CB, Lomo microscope. Please note that the stamens on this complete flower extend very much beyond the petals.

This third picture has a note from Ray attached.
If ye don't like to measure stuff, ye require a line of inquiry other than the botanical. The sepal here is in the neighborhood of six mm.


Oh my goodness. One more thing. The ignorant and vulgar spell these buckeyes.

4 Comments:

Blogger dig up stupid said...

I got these aesculus pavia blooming in various colors from yella to dark red.

5:03 PM  
Blogger ray pistrum said...

Yeah! But this one has leaves from March through August.

9:40 PM  
Blogger dig up stupid said...

In the pots the red ones keep their clothes on through september.
I found a few pots of the carex blanda and they have big fruits!

8:22 AM  
Blogger ray pistrum said...

I have come to look for leaf fall on our pavias around the 4th of July. So to take up the slack after, Turk's cap got seeded around them and have took. Interestingly, there's a little pavia that came up from seed and it sprouts earlier and keeps its leaves longer. In short, pavias are not ornamentals suited to the ignorant and vulgar, but rather, an example of an interesting little wonder with odd habits.

Perhaps a visit is in order to view the large fruited blandas! If the fruits are more than 4mm, it aint blanda.

9:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home