Sunday, June 18, 2006

Crumby's Telescope Tomfoolery and the Fate of the Muth

Last night in the east pasture while keeping the deer at bay, I chanced to look out into the heavens, even through the 133.5 mm Lomo Astelle Maksutov-Cassegrain telescope. I chanced to look out after first noticing that the neighbors' blinds were closed. No, no, no, that's just tomfoolery, there's vegetation between my location in the east pasture and the blinds. But hark, I did espy 36 Ophiucus, two orange stars so close together that I must employ the 2x barlow and the 25mm Ortho to espy that they are indeed, twain. Then clouds came up from the south on one level, and from the southwest on another level, and from the west on yet another level. Nought could I espy of the heavens. And anon, after I laid me down on the Bosom of the Goddess, the rains came, and I rested happily from my great labors on the Bosoms.

Sometime while I was resting happily on the Bosoms, the muth pegged out, much as I foretold. This morning, the Goddess of Reality Checks found it, dead. So I took up its sad little carcass into the laboratory and poked its wings open a little so that I might gaze upon the too side of its hind wings, but also upon the top sides of its forewings.

No key do I have at hand that would do the muths justice. But I do have copies of Dr. Holland's plates. Wonder of wonders, Plate XXXI, number 4, looks just like me muth morte. It is/was Catocala subviridis according to the once sticky fingered, Havana puffing Dr. Holland.

Insect collecting is fun, sort of, as I now recall. But not that much fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home