Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Crumby's Telescope Tomfoolery Notes

The moon didn't arise above the horizon until just a little while ago. Goodness gracious the moon was bright. Behind and above the moon is Neptune. But I did not assay to espy Neptune through the moon glow. Instead, the wily Crumby Ovate did his stargazing pre-moonrise. Yepper, for the clever CO missed 57 Aquila on his first hunt for that particular binary. This time I carefully triangulated from that star in Aquila that hangs below Altair, the bottom one, and alpha and beta Capricornis to find 57. What threw me the first time around was I didn't realize how low 57 was and didn't have those Capricorn stars for reference points. Those Capricorn binaries are neat too, if rather too far apart. Besides alpha and beta there's a bunch of interesting doubles, three at least, just south of beta, you can espy, maybe. I espied two of em. Then also, to get fired up, I looked at Rasgeliath (sp) again. It's a real good one. Also the two Jovian moons closest to Jove, that some call Jupiter, looked to be almost the same distance from Jupiter and in the same orbit almost. That was cool.

Actually, I have been fairly excited all evening by more than telescopery tomfoolery for one of the Otus asio that stays around the CB flew up to the back door of the domicile and snatched some unlucky bug or lizard or some such right of the plate glass while I was pinking doubles on my star maps. Then the dang owl just flew on over to the next to closest to the back door tree in the pecan orchard and ate supper. I saw the whole event for the porch light was on. The owl was a gray one. Actually, I espied that owl with my peripheral vision earlier in the evening hunting around in the grass up by the porch. So as you may see, I have had a very interesting evening. In addition to all the above, I got to holler at everyone to come see the owl and everyone saw it except for the slow pokes.

Reckon how long it will be before the owl starts coming in the house.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home