Saturday, August 12, 2006

Crumby's Telescope Tomfoolery Notes

The Golden Skyguide, apogee and perigee notwithstanding, is chock full of interesting information, cleverly presented. For example, John Sobieski III, King of Poland defeated the Turks in a battle on the date of the Julian, September 12, 1683. The Turks were marching on Vienna, but King Sobieski saved everyone from the Turks, including his court astronomer, Hevelius. Hevelius was so greatful that King Sobieski saved him from the Turks that Hevelius decided to name a constellation in honor of King Sobieski. So Helvelius picked out a little group of stars that looked vaguely like a shield illustrating King Sobieski's coat of arms and dubbed those particular stars, Scutum sobiescianum. Too bad Hevelius didn't decide on the Latin ending -anus, instead of -anum, but what the heck.

Anyway, modernity recommends that the name of the constellation be shortened up to, Scutum. These days, Scutum is a pretty funny sounding proper noun in its own right. The correct pronunciation, by the way, according to the Golden Skyguide, features a long u followed by a short u.

Not having much time, pre-moonrise, last evening, and Scutum being a little constellation at an easy declination to the southeast at that time of the early evening, I decided to spend all my alloted espyization time on Scutum or right close to Scutum. Since I am foresighted, that's exactly what came to pass.

Seeing was good. I espied the Wild Duck Cluster, again, plus M26 and 6664. Then I also did a double take on nearby 15 Aquila. I espied some other stuff too, but I forgot my new watch and didn't bother taking notes, so I can't remember those other wonderful objects right now. Up came the moon and after sequestering the bigger, properly collimated Lomo in its usual diurnal location, off I went to the Ample Bosoms.
_____

Crumby, why didn't you follow the methodolgy last night? Your observations are meaningless if you don't follow the methodology.

I already spelled that I forgot my new watch, Rayetta.

Hmmmm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home