Friday, January 26, 2007

Crumby - Ecology for the Tiny and Underepresented

Yesterday, while looking for insects inside Penstemon cobaea capsules I found some Psocopterans, but they wouldn't hold still. Today I was checking out Allowissadula holosericea carpels for insects also. Many have complained that this lovely Malvaceae is prone to having its seeds eaten up, but ours always produce a big, viable seed crop.
Anyway, here's a couple of pictures of a Psocid that apparently stays in empty Allowissadula carpels. I believe this one is a member of the genus Anomopsocus. Course, not being much of an entomologist, I could be wrong about that.

Here's its back showing the wing venation and the abdomen underneath. This insect is in the neighborhood of 1.5mm long, not counting the antennae. It's different than the ones in the Penstemon. Aggravating that!!!! cause I don't have pictures of the Penstemon ones, yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home