Monday, February 19, 2007

Crumby - Presidents’ Day

Yepper. It is indeed one of the national holidays today, Presidents’ Day. Today is the day we are supposed to remember the presidents, maybe. I have never figured out if we are supposed to remember all of them, or just some of them, or maybe just the most highly regarded ones, or maybe just the ones coincidental with our personal iterations. Whatever!

Old geezers sometimes get aggravated at youngsters who don’t know much, or anything, about our past presidents. But not me. Surprisingly, I am not bothered by that shortcoming. Because, there are more presidents now than when I was young, so the youth of today have a much tougher task than I had, when there were lots fewer presidents to know about.

Yepper. I learned all about our past presidents while serving time at Washington Irving Grade School. In those bygone days, US had only run through about six presidents. Those presidents were Washington, Jefferson, Jackson, Lincoln, Tippercanoe and Mr. Roosevelt. Mr. Roosevelt was famous for preventing scurvy from breaking out in rural Oklahoma during the depression. That’s why they put a facsimile of Mr. Roosevelt on our dimes.

Since Mr. Roosevelt departed to other parts, we have had a great many presidents coincidental with my current iteration. I should be capable of remembering them all, without much effort, but actually I must employ Druid training to remember all the different ones. Frankly, some of them are not that memorable. Without much effort though, I can easily recall which ones are on the money, most of the time. However, I would actually like to forget a couple of the ones on the money, because I don’t feel like a couple of them ought to be on the money. No president should get on the money until he’s been dead a hundred years. The one exception is Mr. Roosevelt. It’s OK for him to be on the dime even though he hasn’t been dead a hundred years, yet.

Our current administrative headache is more of a Kinglet than a president. That’s why we Druids call him the Kinglet. Surely, this Kinglet shall not buy himself on to the money, ever.

Which brings me around to honorariums for this Kinglet. What Passes for a Daily Newspaper in These Parts employs a scribe who goes by the name of John Kelso. I read Mr. Kelso’s column, rarely. But lately, I have noticed that many among the local bourgeoisie are complaining about Mr. Kelso, so I shall rise to his defense. Why? Easy that, Mr. Kelso once wrote a column dealing with the Kinglet’s future Kinglet Library, suggesting that the Kinglet’s Library should be online and virtual, rather than located at a physical address on this planet.

All righty then for that one, Mr. Kelso. Right on!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home