Friday, April 11, 2008

Rayetta's Butterflies - Return of the Orange Dog

Life as we know it, much like the earth’s orbit, follows a more or less circular pattern. Full circle! Here we go again with giant swallowtail caterpillars. Not long ago, a giant swallowtail visited this toothache tree as depicted electropictoidographically previously. Yes, that young lady laid eggs on the barely emergent leaves. Now this orange dog caterpillar is holding forth from one of those eggs. The same thing transpired in DY 1. Full circle! Pagan orthodoxy! The way it is for all life as we know it! Full circle! A fact of life. A fact of life, even for the apparently lifeless.

Anyway, this caterpillar is supposed to erect orange feelers from its noggin when annoyed. I really want to see it do that, but I don’t seem to know how to annoy this one, despite much success at annoying black swallowtail caterpillars. I tried tapping on the tree above its noggin. I tried tapping its noggin with my finger. I tried tickling it with a little bluestem stem. I tried taking its picture. How annoying is that? No erection.

So I tried to annoy another orange dog. No erection. So how does one go about annoying an orange dog?

You may think orange dogs are slow. Actually, they can move along at a great pace, like maybe 100cm in under a minute. But mostly they like to rest up and eat. This one is resting up.

Hmmm. Perhaps I should annoy these orange dogs when they are dining. I bet that would get an erection.

But erections aside, I am fascinated with the cryptic. Where does the caterpillar end and the lichen begin?

Another good question is, Why are orange dogs called by some, orange dogs? Easy that, orange dogs habitate on trees of the Citrus Family. Thus, since oranges are possibly the most valuable of all the citrus crops, we get the vulgar name, orange dog. They may also be called lemon dogs, grapefruit dogs, tangerine dogs, lime dogs, or whatnot, so long as the vulgar epithet includes a citrus.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home