Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Lepidophera? Did you mean, Lepidoptera?

Why do all the filling stations have about the same price on gas? Why do the twain search engines, Google and Yahoo, both try to interact with me? Why, why, why? Assholes!

Anyway, after almost two years of constant or maybe intermittent fret, I at last figured out this particular insect is no moth. Nay, it is a fly. The fact is, I must have thought it was a fly because Ray, my bosom companion, named it Quasimoto fly on Viguera dentata originally. But sometime after that, and not making any progress on the fly hypothesis, I decided it had to be a moth. So for a long time I have operated on the premise that the Quasimoto fly was actually a moth. Turns out, it’s a fly. I can now move this picture out of the Insect file and into the Diptera file.

Apparently there may be three species of these Quasimoto flies living in North America, two of which may be indistinguishable absent exploratory surgery. Naturally, mine is one of the two requiring surgery, either Lepidophora lepidocera or Lepidophora lutea. Try Googling one of those.

No. These obscure flies have not made much progress yet in the fame game. I shall try to help them out. Quasimoto Fly. Humpback Fly. Hunchback Fly. Crookback Dick of Gloucester Fly.

See. What these flies need is a host of common names. Yes. There is nothing like a common name or two to bring on the fame.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home