Sunday, June 25, 2006

Crumby's Telescope Tomfoolery Notes

The telescope for these notes is the Roosian Maksutov, Lomo 133.5mm.

How much dew would a dew drop drop, if a dew drop would drop dew? Easy that, lots. It was a dewy night, and stygian in the darkness of the east pasture. So pretty soon I had to move under the shed to keep from drowning. And under the shed, one has to be aware of shoat skitters, in case the shoat skitter wrangler du jour has slacked off. Perilous! Perilous! Perilous! Not for the flat chested or the bare footed.

But the Crumby Ovate was round chested and well shod and subsequently re-shod before that time in the dewy stygian darkness ended and I found repose on the Ample Bosoms of the Goddess.

Ere that repose was, I visited that part of the heavens where dwells Draco. The methodology served me very well indeed for in the short space of in the neighborhood of an hour I found the five multiple stars I sought and viewed them all, happily, except that I got wet. Going up from Polaris and to the right and finally back to the left a tad, these are the ones perused. Note: Equatorial mounts get easier to operate by yourself, with practice. These are the ones: 40/41, Psi, Nu, Mu and 16/17. As it turned out, this is an interesting order of perusal.

40/41 is an easy split with a 25mm Ortho. Psi splits with 40mm, but is a better look with the 25mm Ortho. Nu is visible as a double in the 9x60 finder, easily. Mu was best in the 7mm Ortho, no barlow. The triple 16/17 doubles easily with 40mm but the trailing double is a challenge due to the different sizes of the stars, relatively big and little. That trailing one did best with a 2x barlowed 12.5mm Ortho.

Anon, after that I had to get under the shed, where I still have some visual access to the southern skies under the roof and I don't get wetter. But that's when I stepped in the pig shit.

I like to use a 40mm eyepiece as the ep to find stuff because its low magnification more nearly approximates the view in the finder scope. Remember, just about all these stars are not visible to the naked eye, so locating them is a step-wise procedure, going from binoculars to Rigel to finder to telescope ep. Then once I get the likely one I am looking for centered, I switch to the 7.3-22mm zoom because that's an easy way to see if its a double or multiple. Just zoom until it splits. Then for a little better look, I switch to the orthos and maybe a barlowed ortho.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home