Saturday, July 15, 2006

Ray's Thought for the Day - Passiflora lutea

Just the other day some of us were talking about the little woodland passion flowers and I was whining about how I never see any of them blooming. Well today when I went over to get my delicious cinnamon bun I decided to check out an old fence row that many moons past demarcated a cow pen. This is located a little ways north of the Cow Barn and both Crumby and me, Ray, are want to go over there and collect interesting plants or plant parts. Today, as I absent mindedly collected Rivina humilis seed along that fencerow I happened to notice Passiflora lutea entwined in the fence and climbing on up into a Celtis laevigata way high. There were lotsa flowers, buds and fruit, but the fruit's not ripe yet.

So after I went on back to the CB and ate my delicious cinnamon bun, I took Raymone and the twain girlfriends back on over to the fencerow to get some pictures. Here the pictures are somewhere.

Here they are. These have much smaller flowers than the previously featured P. foetida. This flower is smaller than a half dollar coin.

This lateral view shows just how uni-erotic passion flowers are, hence the vulgar name, passion flower. See, it has its sex organs stuck out every which away and even its ovary is a mother superior.

There it goes along climbing 10 feet and more up into the tree. Even in this terrible heat and drought it's roaring along when most everything else, has pinched up. Look at all that passion fruit. Praise the Goddess.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home