Saturday, August 19, 2006

Crumby's Telescope Tomfoolery Notes - Cloudy Today and Addendum

The dirunal high topped out at only 99 at the CB today thanks to clouds. Now, those clouds are apparent yet as high smudges squished up by the impenetrable high pressure generated by the Kinglet's many minions in these parts. So anon, I shall go to repose upon the Ample Bosoms, but then I shall be fixing to arise Phoenix-like around 3 AM when those clouds are likely to have dispersed. Cetus the Sea Monster has received short shrift so I shall visit with Cetus. Maybe I can determine Cetus' taxonomy. Also, I just discovered that one of the alternative names for Denib Kaitos is Rana segundo, or, number two frog. Where the heck is the number one frog? Is Cetus an amphibian, fer heaven's sake. Maybe Cetus sent the frog plague against Pharoah What's His Name. Why would anyone be upset if it rained frogs? How's that a plague? Plenty of us would like to see lots more frogs. Praise the Goddess.

Er, Eriadnus? I need to make some charts.

Many of the botanical little wonders habitating at the CB appear to be expiring from the great heat and dearth of moisture. Perhaps they are merely resting up for better days. But Red has instructed us that enough is enough and we are watering select ones to make sure representives of all the different kinds survive, temporarily. Alas, I wonder if many of them have a future in these parts.
_____

Addendum

Ah, hum. While it's true, ovation wise, that the skies cleared, the 3 AM part didn't quite come off. Try 4 AM. Then the finder on the Newt, which I had played around with yesterday, mysteriously malfunctioned, refusing to focus. It took a while to fix that. Then, once that little problem was fixed, there was the vast expanse of sky off to the south and southeast, devoid of stars visible to the naked eyes plus spectacles. Helpfully, about when I noticed the vast expanse of apparently starless sky, my spectacles steamed up, a prognotication that the telescopery optical aids were fixing to also steam up. "Great!" I hollered at the surronding stygian darkness, but only dogs and screech owls answered back.

"Jeez Louise, I need to see something!" I hollered at the barking dogs and whinnying owls. Quelling the urge to panic, I set about following the methodology. Following a methodology always seems to allay panic even when panic is the more rational option. So I patiently set about employing the methodology for finding stars located generally to the right of Aldeberan, with the general goal in mind of figuring out the different parts of the constellations Cetus, and Eriadnus. But alas, I could not concentrate on the methodology. For I was distracted, most of all by the impending rising of the moon, and Ogma, the fickle friend of the Druidry rising up after that. I kept looking nervously off toward the east where the ecliptic intersects the horizon these days. Then my spectacles steamed up again and all the telescopery was steaming up. "Dang it. I want to see something!" I hollered at the crescent moon. "Bark, bark, bark....bark, bark."

"Dang it, stop that barking." I hollered.

"Bark, bark, bark."

"Stop that dang barking er yall er going to have to go in the house."

"Bark!"

"There now."

Then I espied Orion the Hunter. "Hark, bright stars, easy to espy stars through steamed up spectacles." So I kept company with Orion, awaiting Ogma's rising. It may be a while before I get back to Cetus and Eriadnus.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home