Sunday, August 13, 2006

Crumby's Telescope Tomfoolery Notes

Continuing a highly scientific perusal of those celestial bodies in the vicinity of the Constellation Aquila and its bright star, Altair, I put on my new watch and erupted forth into the stygian darkness, swelling with pride as I pushed the button located at two o'clock on the rim of the dial. The suddenly illuminated watch face revealed the time to be a 9:08. Praise the Goddess. Then, of a sudden, I espied a large round thermometer affixed to a post, but I could not enumerate the temperature indicated by the thermometer, or even espy any of the decorative pansies painted upon its face due to the stygian darkness. "Hark! What do I have here handy that might allow for a determination of the temperature and a perusal of the decorative pansies? Whoa! Lo and behold, I have forgot my new flashlight. Dang it." These were among my many utterings as I fixed to view the celestial bodies in the vicinity of Altair.

At last, all was fixed up. The sky though was not cooperating. The sky was very bright, almost silvery and the stars were faint by comparison. But no helicopters were circling overhead. Wouldn't it be terrible if that helicopter crashed, smiting everyone on board to death, even the innocent on board? But no helicopters were circling overhead, so despite the bright sky I counted my many blessings and carried on with the methodology.

Sagitta was the prime subject for perusal, a little constellation left of Altair. Because the arrow, sagittae, which this constellation resembles, maybe, has been a big deal over the ages, there has been much dispute over the ownership of the arrow. Some say it's Cupid's, some say it's Hercules's, some say it's Apollo's, some say it's Geronimo's, some say it's the very dart that slew Lleu Llaw Guffes.

According to Night Sky how to identify, Crotus, son of Pan, invented archery, maybe. So it may be Crotus's arrow. Raymone, take a picture of this book cover. I really like it. It shows id expanded under a pismire immolator. There now. See the silvery part of the book cover? That's how the sky looked last night, but with way less stars. Silvery, like I spelled above.

But the reason I like the book cover so much is the focus on id. id is magnified, emphasizing the importance of proper nouns. Right, Ms. Merriam? Oops, I forgot. Never mind, please, Ms. Merriam.

Anyway, I eventually got to espy Zeta sagitta at 10:04 PM and Theta sagitta at 10:50 PM. I did little drawings of the results immitative of the view provided by a 9mm UO ortho ensconced in the 133.5mm Lomo. Theta is a visual triple. I shall require better seeing and/or the Newt, to do any good with the clusters and nebulae in Sagitta. Maybe we shall have a blackout one of these nights. A blackout would be a happy event for the astronomy minded. Taking a cue from bosom companion Ray, I am looking on the sunny side. Praise the Goddess.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home