Thursday, January 11, 2007

Ray's Thought for the Day - Raw Nature

Yes it's true. Deer (Odocoileus virginianus) sneak into the Cow Barn pastures and shit all over the place. They almost always shit on bareground. I would sure like to know how they do that since they can not probably espy their hiney hole location as they are shitting all over the place on bare ground. Anyway, somehow they almost always shit on bareground which leads me to wonder if maybe shitting on bareground is a vector adaptation for seed dispersal.

Here's how that works. A nasty deer eats up a bunch of its favorite food, seeds attached, and then comes over to the CB to shit out the seeds on bareground. After awhile some nasty weed pops up on that bareground.

Happily there's an upside to deer shitting all over the place. What's the upside? Easy that, flies. And not just any old flies, but flies that specialize in gustation on deer shit. This fly has its proboscis stuck on into a tasty fresh nugget. Plus this fly is a smart aleck.

Do yer hand trick on me Ray. I would just love to buzz, fer ye. Course I might track up yer hand with this here delicious shit. Har, har.

What a rude fly. And this one is just typical of the whole species and maybe whole genera of deer shit eating flies.

Er. This time I remembered to use a higher aperture value, but I forgot to zoom out like I could of, should of.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home