Saturday, March 17, 2007

Ant Day!!!!

Yessireebob. Today is an official holiday in these parts, Ant Day. Trouble is, Ant Day, since it is a secular holiday, did not make it onto the official Druid calendar. So by the time I remembered it was Ant Day I had missed the festivities. Dang it. What we are supposed to do on Ant Day is buy ant poison. Then everyone in these parts puts the poison out for the ants on the same day, Ant Day. But by the time I got over to where the festivities were, they had closed up shop, so I couldn't get any ant poison. Dang it.

But despite missing out on Ant Day, life goes on at the CB. Here we see black aphids enjoying an invasive plant species (Vicia sativa)that even the Druids have no idea how to control. Trouble is, there are way too few of these black aphids on the Vicia sativa. Plus, these aphids like to bunch up so they have little impact on the Vicia sativa, most of whom are aphid free. I wonder if the ants, (Solenopsis invicta) that are the main inspiration for Ant Day, eat these aphids. Maybe I shall put these aphids onto an ant bed and see if the ants eat them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home