Saturday, June 30, 2007

Ray's Thought for the Day - Lepiotes

Nothing but blue skies, smiling on me
Nothing but blue skies, do I see

Mmmm-boy. That cinnamon bun was delicious. But I wonder if these are delicious. I also wonder, how many times I could eat these, and live.

Dang it! These fungi are multi-shroomed from the stem, veritably rhizomatous. Interesting. The multi-shroomed should be safe to eat. But before I was fixing to eat them all up, I took off a cap to make a spore print, yesterday . Guess what? No spores on the spore print today. So these are perfectly safe to eat, maybe. That’s right. If your mushroom leaves no spores on the spore print, that mushroom is perfectly safe and delicious, maybe.

Er. These fungi also came in with the wretched Valburn dirt, maybe. Either that, or their spores were on the posts used to contain the Valburn dirt. Those posts also came from foreign parts. Well, these are Lepiotaceae. I can eat them, or not. Praise the Goddess for delicious cinnamon buns.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

LDR,

I’ve been enjoying the diary of you and your fellow nature lovers, even though some of it is a bit cryptic. But much is not, and I discover from your blog that while I daydream at my computer job about hiking around, there are others who complain about hiking around (doing bird surveys). Best to keep it voluntary, I suppose.

I do usually take snapshots of anything that I stumble upon. Here is a moth that came inside:

https://webspace.utexas.edu/hah1/www/Lepidoptera/%40%2BPseudaletiaUnipunctaSmall_2395B.jpg

And its portrait:

https://webspace.utexas.edu/hah1/www/Lepidoptera/%40%2BPseudaletiaUnipunctaSmall_2406B.jpg

These were taken with a Canon Point and Shoot with a couple of different close up lenses.

Your Fascinated Plant List Requestor

4:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home