Saturday, July 28, 2007

Crumby Meets Plagiometriona clavata

There I was out in a really wild part of the east pasture which is the forbidding north third of the east pasture, approximately. A fair sized coachwhip habitates out there. That coachwhip likes to sneak up on me.

There I was alert for that coachwhip when all of a sudden a tiny flying saucer zipped by. Dern it. What the heck was that? It landed on the underside of a handy Ipomoea trichocarpa leaf.

There I was. I reached under that leaf, surprisingly coming up with a shiny gold elliptic shaped little thing. It sat there on my palm for a lamb's tail shake, then zipped off. But before it zipped off, I espied it well.

I know what that is, I surmised. I have seen a picture of that very organism. It is a beetle. It is, in fact, one of those beetles that has the head covered by the arcuate yet seemingly transparent front margin of the pronotum. That beetle probably espied me through its pronotum before it flew off.

So that was the first and only time I have met up with Plagiometriona clavata. Yet there is plenty of reason to suspect I shall meet up with that beetle again, anon. The Ipomoea trichocarpa is having a big year in DY 1 and that's what those beetles eat. So I just need to check around on the morning glorys until another one of those beetles shows up. Then I may capture that lucky beetle long enough to take its picture.

Backtracking, there I was.
Lulu, get that coachwhip! There it goes. Get 'em.
Terriers are at there handiest when snakes are sneaking up on me. I may need a couple more of those terriers.

There I was. I needed to think. So since Lulu was taking care of the dern serpents, I assumed the classic one legged thought posture that all Druids use when they need to think more than usual. That was OK to do in terms of Potential Safety Topics because Lulu had the serpents occupied. First I thought, I need to go look that beetle up before I forget to look that beetle up. Second, I thought, my dern beetle Dovers have been borrowed for quite a spell. I need to lay claim to my own dern beetle Dovers so I can return the borrowed beetle Dovers to their rightful owner who may be needing them urgently right now.
Lulu. Take that serpent over to the compost. And don't roll on it for Goddess Sakes! That's a good girl.
Done with thinking for the nonce, I took a perilous route back to the laboratory that was fraught with danger and filled with adventure. I barely made it back to the laboratory unscathed or unnerved.

Comfortably saturated by the air conditioning, I sat down to work. First my eidetic memory plus beetle Dover Volume II confirmed the Plagiometriona clavata. Then, I searched around for some used beetle Dovers. Hark! There they are at Alibris. Both volumes, covers creased and soiled, page margins soiled, price tag still on Volume 1, $28, perfect. Those beetle Dovers are just like the borrowed beetle Dovers, almost. Perfect!

So now my very own beetle Dovers are headed this way. Praise the Goddess! See what a little high level thinking can accomplish?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home