Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Crumby is Shocked!

The trusty C 5060 WZ is broke. Since it won't work, because it is broke, I decided to pry off the Mode Dial. The Mode Dial, I figured, is what broke. Plus, I wanted to see what is under the Mode Dial.

Many have had experience with broke Mode Dials on this model. This model is fairly famous for a defective Mode Dial. So some of those many may be curious to know what is under the Mode Dial.

The Mode Dial was fairly easy to pry off. Apparently all that holds it on its four little plastic pegs that fit into four little holes on the top of the On/Off switch.

Sandwiched in between those twain is a little circuit board. The first picture shows the circuit board part that abuts the Mode Dial.







The second picture shows the circuit board accordioned out. A tab on the circuit board secures it to the camera innards.

No. I didn't get shocked by an electric current, but I was shocked that this gizmo ever worked. Remember, the Mode Dial and the On/Off switch move independently. I beleive the circuit board must remain stationary. Then, somehow, this circuitry, in responding to the mechanical motion of the dials, tells the camera what mode to go into, and when to turn itself on and off.

See all that grit in the second picture. I bet there's a lot of grit down in the camera too. No wonder this camera, even when it was trusty, sometimes turned itself off.

Now I must ask myself. Is this gizmo worth getting fixed? How long will the new plastic knobs and wimpy circuitry hold up, synchronously? Mercy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home