Monday, August 24, 2009

Crumby Celebrates Water Rationing

It’s true. Yesterday was the last day of the old water rationing methodology. Today is a new day with a new methodology. So yesterday Crumby decided to celebrate the old, painless methodology one last time.

Here’s what Crumby did. Early in the morning Crumby drove off in the great vehicle. Crumby searched and searched, aided only by the great vehicle plus its air conditioning. At last, after a tedious, doubt-filled time of driving about, Crumby located what he wanted, cheap labor.

OK, Crumby explained. This is a really easy job for today only. Today I am celebrating the old water rationing rules. What I am fixing to do is stay out in the backyard all day. But I can’t do that without help. That’s right. I need help to stave off the anticipated terrible heat. So I need one of you guys to constantly fan me. Then, when the fanning is insufficient, I need one of you to squirt me with the water hose. Now look! Constant fanning is much harder work than intermittent garden hose operation. So I expect you twain to switch off. That way one of you won’t get totally worn out fanning me.

Sure enough. The heat yesterday was terrible. The official heat was 105, another new Austink record for the date. Plus yesterday was the 63rd day of triple digit heat everyone has enjoyed in these parts this summer. Yet Crumby, despite staying outside all day, remained cool, calm and collected.

As fickle Ogma set at last, Crumby paid off the twain cheap labor. You did a good job today, men. Here’s a little something extra. And remember, there’s more to biology than breeding.

Fairly refreshed from the constant fanning and intermittent hosing, Crumby decided to stay outside even longer. I shall stay outside into the stygian darkness, vowed Crumby. I shall accomplish some average amateur astronomy now that fierce Ogma has departed, sparing me his baleful glare.

Crumby remembered something. O h yepper! A test of seeing is how many stars an average amateur astronomer may espy within the great square or body of the celestial horse, Pegasus. Hmm.

Jeez Louise, Crumby ascertained. I can’t espy any. Boo-hoo-hoo. But hey. At least I can espy the square. That ought to count for something.

However, Crumby did espy something new to Crumby last night. Yes. Crumby espied another lifer planetary nebula (PN). The new PN is NGC 7027 in Cygnus. It is a fairly easy one to locate thanks to its brightness and a bluish cast evident even at low power. At about 200x, the disc seems to elongate. Both OIII and Ultrablock help with this one. It’s a blinker.

Which mean, now Crumby needs to update the famous Planetary Nebulae Visible in the Polluted Skies over Austink.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home