Friday, June 30, 2006

Raymone's Plant du Jour

All righty then. This is the Crumby Ovate. What you are about to see maybe, is indicative of another one of my weak moments. The upcoming Plant du Jour, which doesn't get to speak for itself, was given to me as a present. Actually, the original one may be dead by now, but this is that plant, if it's still alive, or one of its progeny. I planted it right after we cleansed the area it's planted in of Bothriochloa ischaemum which was the dominant plant in that area at that time. Part of my thinking was, "Even though I don't know what the heck this thing is, it can't be any worse than KR bluestem," and after all, there's the gift horse in the mouth phenomena.

Failing to look a gift horse in the mouth in the midst of a weak moment has been the undoing of many, for example, the Trojans. (For the benefit of the super ignorant, I am referencing a people, Trojans, who once inhabited a city (Troy) on a site in the near (to us) middle east, not rubbers.

Then too, as you may see, the Plant du Jour has pretty flowers. Pretty flowers have also been the downfall of many, maybe. Er! Surely millions have perished from eating poisonous pretty flowers, or falling off cliffs trying to pick them, or have been stung to death by asps, wasps or other asps or serpents the pretty flowers were harboring, or at least gotten contact dermititis from the pretty flowers.

So, weak moment, gift horse, pretty flowers, what other excuses do I have for myself?
Can't blame my evil Christian past for this one because I was into the pushup phase of Druid training and about to matriculate. Er! Weak moment, gift horse and pretty flowers will have to do.

The agrarian minded will look at this and perhaps, without much thought, opine, "Why that's okra." Well it aint. It's a dang scraggly shrub, not the state vegetable of the downtrodden. But what the heck is it? I have done a tiny bit of research and come up with the probably bogus scientific name Pavonia hastata.

The bogus name does seem to have a lot going for it, the Pavonia-like carpels and the hastate leaves, but I'm pretty sure the name's bogus anyway. Also, I can't seem to find where the Plant du Jour's originals, originated.

Anyhow, me and Ray are fixing to eradicate it, pretty flowers and all, because it shows all the signs of being invasive. But first we'd like to know its name.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home