Sunday, July 30, 2006

Crumby's Telescope Tomfoolery Notes

All righty then, Ray. Those geese are plenty scary. And I didn't know geese ate bermudagrass. Were you scared, getting that close to those fierce geese?

Noper Crumby. Raymone took the picture. I was behind Raymone a ways.

All righty then. It still seems like a Potential Safety Topic - Environmental Hazard to me, getting that close to hungry geese.

Anyhow, the celestial bodies were more exposed last night than on the eve immediately preceeding last night. I don't really understand why that is, but they were. For lo, I was able to split 41 Ophiucus at only 416x. It took me about an hour until I was satisfied with looking at that pair. I continue to be gawkingly amazed at how fast the stars zip across the field of view at a high magnification like 416x. Stupidity transfixes me, just like it does the Kinglet. But my stupidity does way less harm, maybe. Praise the Goddess.

Besides 41, other binaries espied in Ophiucus were 36 and BU 46. Then there was 11, and Struve 2404 in Aquila and Gamma in Corona Australis. I need to look that last one up and find out if I saw what I think I saw.

Then, at about 1:30 AM, or maybe it was 2 AM, Aquarius was up fairly high so I decided to espy Uranus which is ostensibly habitating for the nonce in Aquarius. But just when I was on the verge of espying Uranus, the cloudy curtain was drawn.

Oh yes. The Wild Duck Cluster, Messier 12 is well worth espying also in those parts of the sky. It appeared as layers of stars. Many of those stars could be many furlongs further away than some of the closer ones.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home