Monday, August 28, 2006

Crumby's Telescope Tomfoolery Notes - The Celestial Bodies Come, the Celestial Bodies Go

Yepper. They come and they go, for appearance sake. But we all know that’s not what’s really happening. Right Kinglet?

As the little globe upon which most of us find ourselves situated whirls around Ogma, the celestial bodies appear to come and go. That is one reason why I, the Crumby Ovate comfortably seated on a double decker lawn chair between two barns in the east pasture, pay almost nightly homage to the celestial bodies, both the seen and the unseen. Almost, sans the methodology more lately developed, our little globe has whipped along back to its approximate original Telescope Tomfoolery coordinates. That is, those approximate coordinates as recognized by me, the Crumby Ovate, situated upon the comfortable double decker lawn chair between the two barns.

The unseen trouble me a tad. I have kept record of the unseen and the seen and I know, yea verily, that the unseen shall remain unseen from my perch upon the comfortable double decker lawn chair between the two barns. So to expose the unseen, I must move the comfortable double decker lawn chair to an alternative location. I have been putting that potential necessity off, first familiarizing myself with the seen, but a day of reckoning is approaching, maybe.

Dang it though, humans and proto humans need to stay where they belong, so moving the double decker lawn chair engenders many troubling thoughts touching upon the grim realm of Potential Safety Topics - Environmental Hazards. If I move the comfortable double decker lawn chair, I will have to take into account all the Potential Safety Topics - Environmental Hazards that may afflict me on the journey to the alternative location, plus all those that might afflict me at the alternative location. Dang it.

Addendum

Yikes! I just banged the Newt's finder on the barn roof again. When I do that, it always seems to bang the Meade brand modified achromatic eyepiece that fits the finder diagonal. You may recall that I was fooling around with all that telescopery gear just mentioned not long ago. Then, that very night I had trouble getting the finder scope to focus. So between the banging and the twisting and what not I have finally succeeded in stripping the threads on the metal cylinder that attaches the Meade diagonal to the rest of the finder. I may be the world's greatest thread stripper.


Right away, after I discovered the stripped threads, I was fixing to throw a temper tantrum. But the WG said to me, Crumby, cast your eye upon the that little screw. That little screw may afix the metal cylinder inside the proximal end of the finder optical tube assembly.

Praise the Goddess. Once I located my Husky hex wrench set I was able to determine that indeed that screw did afix the aforementioned cylinder precisely as the WG described. So I was able to extract that cylinder and examine it more closely.

I am in the habit of measuring the dimensions of many objects with a metric ruler. You may recall that Ray measured his chafes using a ruler. That was my ruler Ray used to measure his chafes. In any event I noticed that the distal end of the stripped metal cylinder has the same approximate diameter as the insertion end of a seldom used erect image prism diagonal I just happen to have lying around the CB. I once surmised, full of pride and ignorance, that an erect image prism might come in handy in the telescopes because the images appear correctly oriented, very similar to what one may espy relying upon only naked eyes plus spectacles. While the correct orientation part is correct, the balance of the view of celestial bodies obtained, leaves much to be desired.

Well, the dang thang has just been laying around the CB all this time because I haven't been bird watching with it cause its been too dang hot for birds anyway. Birds are what else I figured it was good for, prideful and ignorant. But hark, now that rascal may come in handy.

This randomly chosen and unedited photograph shows the fancy 45 degree compression ring prism diagonal fixed to the finder scope. The broke one is next to my Husky wrench set in the foreground. If I can get this rig to focus on infinity, I shall have a mighty fine finder set up indeed. The dang prism diagonal cost more than the whole finder.

All righty then. That totally didn't work. However, the modified achromatic eyepiece will focus in my Lomo diagonal which is what's on the finder now. But none of my other eps will focus in it when it (the Lomo diagonal) is in the finder. I need to figure all this out. Seems like I read something about this very subtopic somewhere. Well, back to the drawing board.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home