Monday, June 11, 2007

Rayetta's Butterflies - Ha!

The Republic of Tejas provides habitat for three Asterocampa butterfly species. Apparently, most of the Asterocampa celtis live at the CB. But since there are two other species, I have felt obliged to take lots of pictures of Asterocampa butterflies at the CB. Then I check the pictures to see if either of the other two speices are de-pictured. No luck. All the CB Asterocampa in my pictures are celtis. However, when I was helping Crumby on the job a while back I took this picture. Today I checked this picture out, paying close attention to detail. Tawny emperor (Asterocampa clyton) on Juniperus ashei.

I wonder. Hmmm. I would very much like to sight id butterflies, absent all this picture taking. But lots of the butterflies are confusing when it comes to sight identification. For example, some the CB skippers can be confusing. Nevertheless, I shall persist in the endeavor, sight identification.

To assist me, I have acquired one of Crumby's old binoculars. It is not ideal, but it close focuses at about 8 cubits. So now when I do butterfly patrol, I take it along. I may not ever comfortably identify a skipper with it, but I may be able to identify that a butterfly is unfamiliar. Then, if the butterfly appears unfamiliar, I can sneak up and take a picture.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home