Saturday, September 29, 2007

Rayetta’s Camera - The Olympus E 330 - Is it Naturalist Trusty?

Remember all the trouble Crumby and I went through, selecting a new camera. First, I had to convince Red we needed a new camera. Then, we had to actually pick one. Ultimately, we picked the E 330 because it seemed most like our trusty C 5060 WZ.

Now, sadly, the C 5060 WZ is caput, afflicted by the notorious mode dial affliction. Plus, Crumby is still too crazy to work so we can not afford to get the C 5060 WZ fixed. That may change though, once Crumby finds himself huddled in the laboratory. Yes, Crumby shall be huddled in the laboratory during the short season of the Polar Bear that we also call Polaris in honor of our friendly yet semi-visible guide star. Outside, Crumby’s flora and fauna buddies shall be in short shrift mode. So Crumby shall be bored. Then, Crumby shall decide to use his trusty C 5060 to take pictures through his microscope or telescopes. But, lo and behold, the C 5060 WZ is still no longer trusty. It is still broke. Boo hoo hoo.

That leaves us with just one camera, functioning at this nonce, my camera, the E 330, which broke twice while Crumby was fiddling with it. So Crumby no longer gets access to my camera. Actually, I share my camera with Ray and Raymone, but not with Crumby.

That about covers the social disposition of the E 330 at the CB for the nonce. But what of the E 330 itself. Is it a trusty camera? Well, it has been to California twice for repairs within six months. The second fix was supposedly Crumby’s fault, he stuck his finger in the camera dislodging the mirror, so we had to pay to get it fixed the second time. Since then, it has been trusty, knock on wood, except that the Hyper Crystal LCD is all smudged up. That means that the Hyper Crystal LCD is no longer hyper crystal.

I assume that the term hyper crystal alludes to the ability of the viewer of the Hyper Crystal LCD to discern images on the LCD, efficaciously, when the LCD is not directly under Ogma’s fickle gaze. Yet mine is all smudged up, making efficacious viewing difficult in any light, and thus, rendering the E 330 much less like the formerly trusty C 5060 WZ and more like the currently broken C 5060 WZ.

That said, if Crumby ever recovers his wits, so he can get a job and buy me a new camera, the new one must have a fully articulating LCD that is guaranteed not to smudge up. I would never, ever, consider a new camera lacking those features, full LCD articulation and smudge proof LCD.

Otherwise, I like the E 330 camera body OK. However, often, I find myself with the wrong lens on the camera. How annoying is that? There I am, fixing to take a picture of a relatively inert subject with the 35mm macro, when suddenly a livelier subject of more interest comes willy-wagging along. Too bad Rayetta, that lively subject has willy-wagged away, out of state, and also out of range of the trusty 35mm. Interchangeable lenses are a mixed blessing, at best. Also, as Crumby found out, changing lenses can be perilous if you stick your finger in the camera body while doing a lens change.

The average camera person, reading this, might well aver, why all the carping Rayetta, just go back to Point and Shoot. Well, I may just do that, if the camera manufacturers ever come up with one, or possibly two, naturalist friendly, trusty cameras that meet my needs. Those cameras would have to be trusty and Crumby proof. Plus they would need to be adapter friendly.

Meantime though, I am fixing to break open my piggy bank to see if there is enough spare change inside to cover the cost of the upcoming 70-300mm. Then, if I get that lens, I shall probably have to commandeer Lleu Llaw to hold it for me. That one, with a mass of 660 grams, shall require a steady hand.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home