Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Messier Galaxy Update

Follows an updated list of Messier galaxies that may be espied under the light polluted skies of Austink assuming a good night and 10" aperture. The reason for this exercise is that I, Crumby Ovate, wanted to espy a good many galaxies without leaving the backyard. Yet nobody wanted to explain to me which galaxies might be bright enough for me to espy from my miserable, light polluted location. So I had to discover the bright ones for myself. Which methodology, after all, is what average amateur astronomy is all about. Bright galaxies added since the previous entry are in bold. These should provide some hope for other average amateur astronomers desiring to see some galaxies from a heavily light polluted site. Also, I am not done hunting for bright ones, yet.

Messier Galaxies:

Spiral:

M 31, M51, M58, M64, M65, M66, M77, M81, M83, M104

Lenticular:

M84, M85, M86

Elliptical:

M32, M49, M59, M60, M87

Irregular:

M82

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home