Saturday, December 27, 2008

Omega Centauri

Whoa! I may be able to see Omega Centauri from the back yard one of these days. Truth is, I can espy Canopus, right now. So all the equipment I may need is a ladder.

Hearsay indicates that Omega Centauri is the finest of all the globular clusters visible to average amateur astronomers from Earth. That being so, I need to espy Omega Centauri. I have a goal.

How many humans or proto humans have espied Omega Centauri? No one knows. Perhaps though, a keen eyed proto human or two espied that magnificent globular long ago. Yes. There those proto humans were, up in a tree, gazing at the naked heavenly body of Omega Centauri, wondering what that fuzzy light in the sky implied, and if it was edible.

A Centaur is half man, half horse. Presumably, besides Centaurs there are also Lady Centaurs, also known as Centaurettes. Little is written up on Centaurettes. But we know from what is written in the ancient manuscripts, and also from various artists’ conceptions, that Centaurs have the head, torso and arms of a human plus the body, legs and whanger of a horse. Consequent from such anatomy, Centaurs are extremely interesting and popular.

The most famous Centaur is Chiron. Chiron is a botanist and astronomer. Hearsay has it that Chiron was the first person or hemi-person to organize the stars into constellations. If this is correct, how come the constellations we espy today are generally lacking in botanical nomenclature? Course there is the Sunflower Galaxy. Maybe Chiron named that.

What do Centaurs eat? Are they herbivorous, like horses? Are they omnivorous, like people? To find out, an average amateur scientist might wish to take a long look at a Centaur’s digestive system, beginning with the toofers and winding up at the anus.

But to heck with that. That is way too much trouble, hard work, and nasty to boot. Yuck! That reminds me of my chordate anatomy cat. I actually took my cat home with me to study up on it before the final practical. Yes. I put that stinky old sagitally sectioned cat in the refrigerator. I studied and studied. Mercy! I still flunked the practical. I got mixed up in the middle of it. Then I had a panic attack. Also, apparently, some of the scholars taking the practical moved some of the pins around. That may not have helped.

No. We don’t need to dissect a Centaur. Instead, an average amateur scientist like me can easily speculate on the diet of the Centaur. That’s because I happen to know that horses and I like some of the same foods. What are those foods? Easy that, oats, corn, apples and carrots. As it turns out, your average Centaur thrives on a diet made up of just those four food groups.

Now I need a plan to espy Omega Centauri. The best plan is to charter a rocket ship and fly through the middle of it. A chartered rocket ship is probably unrealistic. Which brings me back to my ladder.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home