Saturday, April 04, 2009

Patterns and Ovations

The patterns are out there. Yet sometimes it’s fun to make an ovation respecting a well-studied pattern. That’s what happened on April 2 of the Julian, below. Oops. Oh well. Predicting regularly occurring events is not that big a deal.

This morning I headed out into the backyard at 5 AM. I need to be out there every morning, rain or shine. Why? The dang deer are fixing to drop babies all over my yard. Maybe, if I am out there constantly, they won’t. Yes. Maybe if I am out there, they shall deposit those babies somewhere else.

I don’t want any baby deer in the backyard. Last year I had two. Those baby deer were lots of trouble. Way too much trouble. Plenty of trouble. Troublesome.

What I need to do, I know, is put up a deer proof fence. Yet I have not. Why? Cause those fences are expensive. Also, and less importantly from my perspective, they fuck up the normal routes deer take, messing up the deer’s routine and lifestyle. So to keep the deer happy, I should not fence them out. After all, those deer have been here longer than me, specifically speaking, maybe.

An alternative to a deer proof fence is a big dog or two. Yet in the long run, a big dog or two, even when initially acquired free, shall probably wind up more expensive than the deer proof fence. Hey! Maybe there should be like a rent a big dog or two service for deer weary home owners. But what would the big dog or two do during those months when the deer aren’t dropping babies. Beats me!

Well, you know yourself that if you go out into the backyard at 5 AM in the morning to play scare deer, you should probably have an additional activity organized to help pass the time. For me that activity is nearly always average amateur astronomy. This morning, facing Mag 3 skies, I figured those skies about rated a Bushnell Voyager Family Table Top Telescope (BVFTTT).

Many may recall the difficulty of locating M4, the great globular cluster in Scorpius. But with a BVFTTT and a 32mm plossl, M4 is dead easy. Pork chop, pork chop, pork chop, greasy, we can espy, M4 easy. The fact is, an average amateur astronomer may see Antares, Al Niyat and M4 all in the same field. Course, with Mag 3 skies to contend with, one may need averted vision for M4.

The BVFTTT with Rigel Quickfinder is turning out to be a great alternative to cheap yet big binoculars.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home