Sunday, February 26, 2006

Gee Whillikers!

So it's like 5 am and I been up all night for lotsa reasons. So here's what I did. About 3:30 AM I got up off the couch where I was attemptin' to take repose and avoid the terrible snorin' in my usual repose area, when all of a sudden I noticed how uncomfortble I was. That's when I went outside to lala and while lalain' I chanced to look off to the northeast and there was the star, not the car, Vega, high enough to be visible above the road lights that create the glow ye can espy if ye look at that picture down south of here somewhere.

Ah, ha, Says I, out loud, here's a chance to see that dern Ring Nebula, fer sure. But havin' no sense of spatial realtions and not bein' able to see any other stars with my naked eyes off in that direction except Vega, I purty much lalaed that up. But then, around 5 AM I espied Venus the planet, not the love goddess, off to the east and I says to myself out loud, Well now, whut do ye want to bet I can find that un in the telescope?

That un, Venus, er so I thought, was purty easy, but when I got the dern thing in focus I got a surprise. It looked like a little version of the moon. What's this, I says out loud, an eclipse of Venus? So I screwed on my Ultrablock filter to get some use out of it and Venus was still a quarter crescent, only now it was blue, too.

When it started to get light I came back in here to my orifice and began to think on whut I had just espied. But I couldn't figure nothin' out, so I went to the world wide internet, where I learned that Venus, like the moon, has phases. Well I swan, I says out loud.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home