Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Crumby's Telescope Tomfoolery Notes

Jovian Angels were out there again above the east pasture, hovering, but now I have spells to ward them off me.

Mistakenly surmising that I had but little time for tomfoolery, (sometimes I forget to ovate and get all the Juju Bwana ahead of time),I packed it in early last night. But prior to packing it in early, I studied Scorpius. Scorpius never gets very high over the south horizon, but for some reason, there is less pollution off that way than any other direction. So I like to look that way and also those constellations, Scorpius and Sagittarius, are very nice on a transparent evening, which this evening was. So with little time to spare I thought, I revisited Beta Scorpii and Nu Scorpii. Beta is an easy split at low power, two nice white stars. Nu splits at higher power, and at really higher power the right star splits again. Right side, since everything is reversed left to right. Neato. I know its just Tomfoolery, maybe, but when they split its lots of fun. Then I went down to bright Antares to see if I could split that one in the Lomo. But all I could get was a red glow on the airy disc of the big primary. I bet the Lomo would split it though, if seeing was just a tad better. That Lomo, as it turns out, is a serious double taker. It will give perfect airy discs on 6th and 7th magnitude stars at around 1.2 degrees separation. It could do a shade better than that too, reckon. I like it. Last on the ticket was beautiful Albireo, just for aesthetics.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home