Monday, October 23, 2006

Crumby's Telescope Tomfoolery Notes - Gee Whiz, Andromeda and Perseus

For many moons and nights when the moon was elsewhere I have been frustrated in my efforts to espy M 33, the big galaxy between Alpha Triangulum and Beta Andromeda. So last night I decided to try for it with my best optics, 10x42 Superior E, Nikon binoculars, while occasionally inserting an Ultrablock filter between the right ocular and my eyeball. No go. I still couldn’t see it for sure. Just maybe if I wait until it’s higher up, nearer the zenith, I might espy it. Course if I try that, I’ll get a dose of warbler neck.

To the usual light pollution in these parts, a carnival has arrived for its annual contribution. One of the rides adds excitement by shining a spot light heavenward. I had forgotten about the annual carnival visit until last night when the carnival suddenly penetrated my awareness. Taken by surprise by the spotlight flashing across the sky, I seized up my carbine, ready to slaughter any terrorist paratroopers that landed in the east pasture. But then I remembered the annual visit of the carnival Fortunately, and amazingly, the carnival is required to cease operation by 10 pm.

But onward through the pollution. Last night the focus was, What’s gee whiz in the constellations Andromeda and Perseus on a clear night from my location in the light polluted east pasture using an F10, 5.25 inch Maksutov Cassegrain telescope?

1) The Andromeda Galaxy, M 31, is gee whiz due to its marvelous great size at low magnifcation.

2) Gamma Andromeda, Almach, is gee whiz due to the great colors of the stars. Last night the primary was gold and the secondary was periwinkle.

3) The Double Cluster in Perseus, NGC 869 and NGC 884 are superb at around 30x using a goofy old 40mm plossl. Both clusters fit in the FOV.

4) Eta Persei is another beautiful double star, gold and blue.

What else can the Mak detect in these constellations that may not be gee whiz, but interesting nevertheless. The Blue Snowball is sort of interesting. At 125 x one can discern a glowing disc and espy that it’s a planetary nebula and not something else. Beta Persei, Algol, is also pretty interesting, but you have to check it on successive nights to espy its variability. There are two other bright stars in the FOV at low power for handy comparison. Also, if you want to get excited about M 34 in Perseus, look at it before you look at the Double Cluster.

That’s about it except for multiple star systems one can hunt down. The California Nebula, for example, is not apparent. If it’s clear tonight I shall replicate this activity with the 10" Newtonian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home