Saturday, October 21, 2006

Raymone's Plant du Jour - Helianthus maximiliana

Hi there. I'm Max, the Million Sunflower. Though my common name makes little sense, I am nevertheless an important perennial herbaceous component of true prairie in these parts, or would be, if there was any true prairie still abiding in these parts. I am very common though at the CB. The first picture of me adjacent is a close up of my infloresence. I grow great big and sometimes my flowers are so heavy that my stem flops over. That's what I'm doing here, flopping over. See one of my pollinators there in the middle. That's a fly.

The Crumby Ovate has some commentary on the second picture of me. Take it away, Crumby.

Thank you there Max de Million. Yes, I do have somewhat to elaborate on. Here in this second picture the casual observer may espy Max in the foreground demarcating a transistion from native vegetation to weeds. The principal weed in the background is St. Augustine grass. As you may also espy, a lot of the St. Augustine grass has not quite recovered from the great heat and paucity of rain. There you may also espy my telescopery furniture. That's my double decker lawn chair on the left. On the right is my highly portable two shelf temporary gear storage facility that I found a few years ago at the dump. That temporary gear storage facility is very light and portable plus it temporarily affords plenty of space for all my gear. And the floor of the top shelf is recessed and has a wall around it, so that if I knock gear over in the stygian dark, the gear doesn't roll off and smack the ground. I can put bins, and books, the good for 10,000 years flashlight and all manner of eps on that top shelf. I love that free plastic furniture. It could use a paint job though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home