Friday, October 20, 2006

Crumby’s Telescope Tomfoolery Notes - What’s Up, Lately?

The weather is messing with my Telescope Tomfoolery a lot. But that’s OK, cause I’d rather have it rain than see stars. However, I get aggravated when it’s cloudy, but doesn’t rain much either. But even those twain conditions are not entirely lose, lose. High humidity helps too, especially dew, helps the botanical. But dew doesn’t help with the astronomical. Noper, it doesn’t help at all with the astronomical.

So lately, with all the dew, plus the still insufficient showers, and plenty of clouds, I have only been out in the east pasture a couple of times including most of last night. And I have not required the services of the steady hand at all, since the great red tube stays inside during inclement weather. Rather, all the viewing of the naked splendors has been accomplished with the 133.5mm Lomo and its accouterments.

Last night was interesting. There were meteors zipping around for one thing. You can tell meteors from airplanes because they go much faster. Then there’s some interesting celestial wonders in the Big Dog and in the Twins as well. They are are both fairly handy for the Lomo and Gem telescopery gear around 3 AM. But the dew is bad ,so generally I have to move on under the shed roof by 4:30 AM to keep the dew from getting me too bad and look south where the Big Dog is gravitating toward anyway along with Orion . At 4:30 AM it was 43 degrees Fahrenheit according to the pansy thermometer, which I examined due to the belief that I didn’t have sufficient clothes on at that time.

Tonight though, I shall be out earlier for the Chairoteer, The Bull and associates around mid-night, arising off east. Plus I’m gonna wear more clothes. Tomorrow though, I’ll have to take those extra clothes off, maybe.

Actually, I may go on out now, and see how long I can stand the noise pollution outside. Maybe a meteor will hit the noise polluters. That sure would be too bad if they were hit by a meteor and killed dead and I didn’t get to witness such an interesting event.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home