Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Rayetta’s Birds - Passer domesticus (Class Aves)

I must explain myself. I have decided to document as many of the birds (Class Aves) that occur at the CB as I can document. I need no help realizing how silly this decision, on lots of levels, is. Matter of fact, Crumby is helping with that realization at this very nonce. Crumby, you better quit that this instant. He’s flapping his arms and crowing.

Anyway, I shall employ the same methodology that I employed successfully on the butterflies. Except, with the birds (Class Aves) I shall employ more art and less science. That’s because documentation electropictoids of birds are much harder, so I get some artistic leeway.

Here is an example of what I am spelling about. This little bird, Passer domesticus is somewhat concealed from the camera by an impenetrable mustang grape thicket that lies between me and him. Most of the blurry stuff in the electropictoid foreground is grape vines. The blurry grape vines are what I mean when I spell, artistic leeway. I am happy enough with this picture. It shall do me, even if I do not get another picture of Passer domesticus, ever.

Now some natural history. Passer domesticus is not a pest at the CB. It seldom approaches the domicile or the out buildings. It nests in the thickets, spending most of its time hopping, fornicating and chirping happily, in or near the thickets. However, when the bag worm moths swarm, Passer domesticus becomes a flycatcher, catching those moths on the wing. Ours catch a great many moths on the wing, and since they are poorly designed for flycatching, present a comical spectacle.

Doubtless, Passer domesticus, makes the top ten list of trash birds in these parts and most parts. Qualifications for that honor include; introduced (almost everywhere) species, human commensal, butt common. Nevertheless, since Druids feel that the concept, trash birds, is tiresome, and the authors of the concept also tiresome, we appreciate our Passer domesticus for what they are, cute little nasty birds adept at moth catching and fornicating.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home