Monday, April 06, 2009

Hyles lineata and Lamium amplexicaule

Be careful what you wish for. This old saw applies to Druid Ovates just like anyone else, maybe. For many moons I have been fixing to get shut of the henbit at the Cow Barn. That’s because henbit is non-native. Well, I could never have gotten rid of the henbit by myself, or even with casual help. But my efforts, plus no rain for 16 months just about did the henbit in. Henbit is just about wiped out here at the Cow Barn.

>
How aggravating? Now I have pulled up all the henbit at the CB. Now, sphingids at the CB can not enjoy henbit nectar. Now, the CB sphingids probably hate me.

But why should a moth restricted to the New World, like an Old World plant in the first place? That’s my question. To find an answer I went to the Internet

On the Internet I learned that there is a moth, Hyles livornica, over yonder across the vast ocean, where henbit is also native. Hyles livornica is its name and that moth is so similar to Hyles lineata that many once figured they are the same species. However, now many think they are not the same species.

Yet the twain moths are an example of convergent evolution or perhaps the twain moths had a common ancestor, 10,000 years ago, when Planet Earth was first created by Jesus. No wonder then, Hyles lineata likes henbit. Because Hyles livornica, Hyles lineata’s near twin probably likes henbit, Hyles lineata is bound to like henbit, too. But is henbit really good for Hyles lineata, or only apparently good for Hyles lineata?

That question is similar to asking, Are bananas really good, fer me?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home