Saturday, June 06, 2009

Flies and Hot Pixel Mapping

Hot pixel mapping is a feature of the Olympus dslrs. I don’t actually know if my Olympus dslr has, or ever had, hot pixels or not. Nevertheless, I have used the feature twice, both times after examining pictures of flies at 100%.

I now suspect that what I am pixel peeping, is not hot pixels, but oily spots on the flies. Yes. Those oily spots are probably what is messing up my fly pictures, not hot pixels. Nevertheless, the hot pixel mapping feature, having now been run twice, ought to have managed to get shut of any hot pixels I may have, thanks be to oily flies.

Here’s an example. This picture was shot in RAW. A copy of the picture was saved as a TIF. A TIF may be edited in old versions of Paint Shop Pro. An average amateur photographer may use the clone tool to clone out big purple globules situated on a flies fore-noggin. But then that average amateur has to save the TIF file again as a TIF file. Then, that TIF file can be saved as a JPG, for use, for example, on this venue. It’s a long, miserable process but eventually you get to look at your fly’s picture with no big purple blob in the center of its fore-noggin.

This oily fly is the famous and generally well-known Mydas clavatus.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home