Saturday, May 30, 2009

Weevils

I have been doing camera practice with the Raynox 150 on a 40-150 kit lens. That combo may be OK for weevils if the weevils hold still and there is not too much wind. For focus, I try to bob forward and back to get in the ballpark. Then once I espy the target I use S-AF+M to sort of focus. This methodology works the same in live view or using the optical view finder. However, either way, it's pretty much a crap shoot. Sometimes AF works. Sometimes it does not. A tripod might improve the situation if I could put up with trying to shoot bugs with a tripod.

Seems the working distance at the long end, which also provides the highest magnification, is about a foot. A foot is very far compared to where one is using the ZD 35mm. With that, you are very, very close.

I have taken maybe 30 photos with the Raynox kit lens combo. I am not especially happy with the results because the shallow depth of field is so consistently annoying. On the other hand, this weevil shot, bad as it is, would be totally impossible with any of my other equipment.

Yes. It's better to have a bad weevil picture than no picture at all. Especially since this weevil may be identifiable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home