Sunday, September 09, 2007

Rayetta's Butterflies - An Exciting Week

The CB butterfly documentation system (bds) has been getting a workout lately. Three butterflies new to the CB bds showed up very recently. I managed to document two of the three. Alas, the Zebra Heliconian (Heliconius charithonia) eluded me. But not the other twain.

I really would like to have more Texas kidneywood (Eysenhardtia texana). More than one, that is. The kidneywood flowers attract some interesting bugs, including these sickle-winged skippers (Eantis tamemund).




And the pater familia.










Then today this little skipper turned up. I almost ignored it, thinking, this one is another Pyrgus species, which of course, it is. Yet, this one, as I attempted to ignore it, never opened its wings while perched. That's odd, I thought. So I took its picture after all. Turns out it is a female tropical-checkered skipper (Pyrgus oileus.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home