Sunday, February 22, 2009

Lazy Boy Malfunctions

My furniture woes continue. First, unbeknownst to me, my plastic Pepsi average amateur astronomy furniture is crushed almost beyond recognition. Near as I can figure, my Pepsi furniture got crushed while I was at the doctor, his finger stuck up my ass. Then, when I get home from the sadistic doctor visit and attempt to rest up in my Lazy Boy, the foot rest gets stuck in the up position. Jeez Louise! Life as I know it!

Thankfully, my Lazy Boy fixed itself, eventually. Like after I had totally given up on my Lazy Boy, after 24 hours and much futile aggravation on my part, it fixed itself. How can it do that? How can a Lazy Boy fix itself? Jeez fucking Louise!

Well, I am glad my Lazy Boy fixed itself. I would rather have my Lazy Boy operating normally than a broke Lazy Boy, any day. Yes. Even if I shall never understand how that Lazy Boy fixed itself, life is better for me with the Lazy Boy, fixed, than with the foot rest permanently stuck out.

Good Goddess All Righty!!!! When my Lazy Boy broke, some responsible parties, commenting on how dirty its upholstery is, decided to get shut of my Lazy Boy entirely. Few can imagine how disheartened I was, hearing all the trash talk about my Lazy Boy. I was downcast. I was forlorn. But maybe now that the Lazy Boy has fixed itself, the responsible parties shall forget all about the little dirty upholstery problem. I sure hope so. I love my Lazy Boy. I am not ashamed to admit that I asked the Goddess to help fix my Lazy Boy. Maybe the WG did actually fix my Lazy Boy. That’s what you call a miracle.

With my Lazy Boy operating normally, my mind is more at ease, allowing Crumby to return to a normal routine. Out I went, intruding into the enveloping stygian darkness. These days, Coma Berenices is pretty high up by midnight. The truth is, an average amateur astronomer may espy some of the naked heavenly splendors of Coma Berenices and still get along to the Ample Bosoms by 1:30 or two. On the downside, last night was bone-sucking cold and a dry north wind blew 10-20mph, yea verily, even long after fickle Ogma set. Even so, out Crumby went.

Just about everyone knows how Queen Berenice offered her lovely auburn tresses in sacrifice to Aphrodite. In return, Queen Berenice expected Aphrodite to help bring her husband back from the war in one piece. So we don’t need to go into all that since just about everyone already knows all about Berenice’s hair.

I will say though, by way of my opinion, that I find it pretty hard to imagine hair up there. Yet despite little or no hair, Coma Berenices is an interesting constellation. In fact, Coma Berenices may be the most interesting of all those constellations that, at first glance, aren’t the least bit interesting. Yes. Dull constellations like Canes Venatici, Camelopardalis, Hydra, Lacerta, Lynx, and Scutum are not especially interesting at first glance. That’s because these constellations have few, if any, bright stars. That makes them dull. So to become interesting they must exhibit other charms besides bright stars.

Coma Berenicies interests me because it is the constellation with the most invisible Messier objects from my perspective. That’s right. Coma Berenices features the entirely invisible M88, M91, M98 and M100. Only Ursa Major, with three, compares to Coma Berenices. Together, Coma Berenices and Ursa Major contain more than half the invisible Messier objects remaining unseen from this location.

Yet Coma Berenices boasts four visible Messier objects also, M53, M64, M85 and M99. Plus, it contains a swell bunch of little stars that I personally feel like is one of the best starry aggregations in the night sky. This starry aggregation is sometimes called the Coma Star Cluster or Melotte 111. It is a very fine cluster indeed, and is considered by many to be the actual, mythical Berenice’s hair. Like I opined before though, I can’t ever make out any hair, much less auburn hair.

17 Coma Berenices is a wide double in the Coma Star Cluster. It can be used to find the nearby, fairly bright galaxy NGC 4494. However, I never could use it to line up NGC 4565. I tried and tried for over an hour. NGC 4565 eluded me. Seems like NGC 4565 would be easy an easy hop from 17, but no.

So I decided finally to triangulate from a combination of 17 and 18-21. That did the trick. Yikes! NGC 4565 is on the edge of visibility here, a very pale, vertical sliver. Probably, all I can espy is the very brightest parts.

Huh, huh. Hold it. I just remembered something. What if, Berenice’s hair, didn’t come from her head? What if that hair came from the nether region of her old tomato? Ha. Then the general shape of the Coma Star Cluster considered as a hairy shape makes more sense. Huh, huh.

Tonight, I am fixing to espy Coma Berenices again. Yep. I am fixing to try for all those up to now invisible galaxies, again. Furthermore, if I can stay awake, a bunch of planets plus Moon are lined up tight right before Ogma’s rising. Might be worth a look see. Then too, Lulin, which is getting bigger if not brighter, is fast approaching a rendezvous with Saturn or Bran the Blessed. Also, something is fixing to go on with four of Saturn’s moons. Something occult.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home