Thursday, April 09, 2009

A Nymph Plus Four Satyrs

Shave and a haircut, two bits. Yes. The alleged occurrence of these five butterflies in Travis County, a nymph and four satyrs, has begun to vex me. Yes. I am vexed because I have personally espied only two of the satyrs. Only two, not fair, cause four, as everyone knows, is my number. I should have espied all four by now.

Then there is the nymph to consider. I have not espied that nymph at all, either. Not fair.

No, not fair. Especially now. Yes. These days I am old and feeble plus crippled and fat (ofcf). Now, as I venture forth into the woods I hear all the whispers. What do those whispers imply? This is what, Espy that ofcf mofo. He is staggering along at a poor pace. He is fixing to peg out. Oh well.

Fortunately, the smarty pants in the woods are many, yet the predators in the woods are few. Otherwise, within minutes of staggering forth, I should be a goner.

Because I am ofcf, I have personally decided to settle for espying another of the satyrs, the bigger one, and the nymph. Espying those two would be fairly satisfactory, bring me up to a total of four and indicate lifelong progress. Besides, the fifth one is tiny, plain, and potentially rare in these parts. An ofcf like me would have to be especially lucky to espy that kind of phenomena before a predator got me.

After scouting around, three butterfly checklists useful for these parts have eventually fallen into my possession. Those checklists variously indicate the above information provided above regarding the nymph and four satyrs. One of the three checklists employs a synonomy at odds with the other twain. For example, the little wood-satyr transforms into the Balcones wood-ringlet. Knowing all that I can brag, Say, do you know, a Balcones wood-ringlet has frequented the butterfly feeder located in my backyard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home