Monday, July 02, 2007

Crumby's Stream of Conciousness for the Day

All righty then. Rayetta went to bed last night. Praise the Goddess, I did not arouse Rayetta with my hollering. If I had succeeded in arousing her with my hollering, I would have been sorry. But now Rayetta is fixing to arrive at the lab for the butterflies. Meantime, my bosom companion, Ray, and company are gone off on a perilous adventure. I sure hope most of them get back here safe and sound, eventually. Then too, I have been quite excited by the many photographs Ray brought back from west of the Pecos. I have been busy annotating those photographs. They are interesting because the object of Ray's efforts is generally central to the picture, yet, a great many incidental wonders are depicted off center and I need to figure out what those are. Plus, there is the challenge of figuring out the out-of-focus ones. I sure am hungry all of a sudden. Where's that dang Rayetta? I want my cereal. Dang it! Hey there! Dr. Pistrum, what about those butterflies? I'm hungry. I am near starvation, yet chained to the venue. Where the heck is Rayetta now? I'm feeling faint. That's right. Somebody, possibly Rayetta, shall find me here in the laboratory, starved to death. Naught shall remain of me but skin with bones sticking out through the skin. Er. How long shall this fat last me? Mercy. My fat is rapidly disappearing right before my eyes. Help! Help! Help!

Hello Crumby. Is Crumby, hungry? Then run along and have your cereal. But first, introduce me to the venue, properly.

All righty then. Now it is time for Dr. Pistrum, the renowned yet merciful Lovely Druidess Rayetta, here come upon the CB venue to spell upon the subtopic, CB butterflies. Harrrruuuuuuuuuuh!!!!

Hmmm. Not bad Crumby.

Rayetta’s Lepidopteran’s

Even though, there are maybe a tousand or two butterflies habitating at the CB at this very nonce, those butterflies are ones previously addressed in this venue, mostly. There may be some butterflies around that I have not addressed, but I have not yet caught up to those with the slower camera. So I am branching out to include a moth, or muth. My thinking behind this historic decision is, I finally photographed a Sphingid. This particular Sphingid is tame, asleep or dead. Take your pick.

Also, there are the grapes to consider. Much Lepidopteran activity is associated with the grapes, both V. mustangensis and the cultivar. We have a bumper grape crop this year and that unusual phenomena has led me to spend more time observing the grapes. Apparently, during its youth, Amphion nessus is a grape or grape relative feeder.

Then too we have leaf rollers on the grapes. More on those leaf rollers anon, maybe.

Finally, we have two hummingbird moths. One has a red abdomen and the other has a black and gold abdomen. I did not know that there were two kinds of clear-winged hummingbird moths in these parts. But Dr. Holland indicates there could be even more than two. So far, I have managed to sneak up on them with the slower camera, but my pictures are, shall we say, marginally useful.

Since I follow the taxonomy of Dr. Holland’s ancient tome, The Moth Book, in this venue, the clear-winged sphingids are named H@morrhagia.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home